In today's world, where security and privacy are more important than ever, virtual private networks (VPNs) have become an indispensable tool for protecting personal data and ensuring a secure Internet connection. There are 2 popular protocols for VPN - PPTP and L2TP.
Description of PPTP and L2TP protocols
PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol) was developed by Microsoft, Cisco and others in the late 1990s. This protocol provides a relatively fast and simple connection between computers by creating a "tunnel" over the Internet to transfer data. However, PPTP is not considered the most secure protocol due to its outdated cryptography.
L2TP (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol) is a more modern alternative to PPTP. It provides a more reliable and secure connection as it uses data encryption during transmission. L2TP creates a "tunnel" between two points on the network, ensuring data privacy and security.
Instructions for setting up a VPN connection via PPTP and L2TP protocols
For the VPN service, a list of VPN servers for setting up a connection via PPTP and L2TP, as well as additional instructions, is available in the Personal Account in the Service Instructions. Before starting the setup, you should make sure that you have access to this information in the manual.
Setting up a VPN connection in Windows 10/11 or Windows Server
1. Open Windows settings and go to "Network and Internet" > "VPN".
2. Click "Add VPN Connection".
3. Select the type of VPN connection - PPTP or L2TP, depending on your choice.
4. Specify the name of the VPN server from the list of servers provided by your VPN provider.
5. Copy the username and password from the instructions for your VPN service and enter them.
6. Click "Connect" to establish a VPN connection.
Setting up a VPN connection in Windows 7
1. Open "Network and Sharing Center" and select "Set up a new connection or network".
2. Select "Connect to my workplace" and then "Use my Internet connection (VPN)".
3. Specify the name of the VPN server and follow the instructions.
4. Then go to "Network and Sharing Center" > "Change adapter settings", find the connection you created, go to "Properties".
Specify the IP address or domain of the VPN server.
See "Security" and set the VPN type to PPTP or L2TP.
Setting up a VPN connection on Android
1. Go to "Settings" and find the section "VPN" or "More" > "VPN".
2. Click "Add VPN network" and select the connection type - PPTP.
3. Specify the name, server address, login and password.
4. Save the settings and connect.
Setting up a VPN connection on Linux with a GUI in Network Manager
1. In the network settings, select "Add new connection" and the type is VPN.
2. Specify the gateway (VPN server), as well as the type of VPN connection - PPTP or L2TP, login and password.
Setting up a PPTP and L2TP VPN connection is a relatively simple task on various operating systems, including Windows, Android, and Linux. At the same time, it should be taken into account that the security and reliability of L2TP is higher than that of PPTP, therefore, when choosing a protocol, you should be guided by your needs and security requirements.